There’s no doubt, using an electric fan can save you a lot of money from your monthly electricity bills. But how much of the difference is there between aircon vs electric fan in terms of electricity consumption in the Philippines?
– A stand fan running for 10 hours a day will add 171.45 PHP per month to your electricity bills.
– A 0.6 HP window type aircon running for 10 hours a day will add 1,278.6 PHP per month to your electricity bills.
– Based on the computation, an electric fan is 7 times cheaper than a conventional air conditioner in the Philippines.
Both the electric fan and air conditioner (window type) are running for 10 hours. Both are set to the minimum cooling setting and we assume that both are running in perfect condition. We are using MERALCO’s power rating to compute.
Important factors to note:
- 12% VAT
- Your electricity provider’s power rating or how much they charge you per kilowatt-hour.
- What type of consumer are you. I.e., residential, commercial, etc.
Model: Eureka Stand Fan
Wattage: 60 Watts
Type: Power Stand Fan
60 Watts * 10 hours = 600 Watts-Hour
600 Watts-hour / 1000 = 0.6 kWh
0.6 kWh * 8.505 = 5.103
5.103 * 12% VAT = 0.612 + 5.103 = 5.715 PHP for 10 hours of use
5.715 * 30 days = 171.45 PHP per month
Model: Panasonic Compact Manual Window Type
Wattage: 535 Watts
HP: 0.6Type: Window Type
0.6 = 447.42 Watts
447.42 Watts * 10 Hour = 4,474.2 Watt-Hour
4,474.2 Watt-Hour / 1000 = 4.4742 kWh
4.4742 kWh * 8.505 = 38.05
38.05 * 12% VAT = 4.57 + 38.05 = 42.62 PHP for 10 hours of use
42.62 PHP * 30 days = 1,278.6 PHP per month
Is using a fan over an ac more cost-effective? Can you save more money?
Yes, using an electric fan can save you money because you will pay less in electricity bills than running your aircon.
But this should not discourage you from buying an AC unit. There are reasons why Filipinos are buying air conditioners in their homes especially if it is summertime.
Think of it like this: you will want to pay an additional 2,000 to 3,000 PHP per month then pay 1 million in hospital bills because you or someone from your family suffered heatstroke.
There are also ways on how you can save electricity while using an airconditioner and one of the best solutions is to use both an electric fan and AC at the same time.