The process of removing the ice maker in your Samsung refrigerator will require that you prepare before removing screws and disconnecting the wires.
Having a built-in ice maker in your refrigerator allows you to have ice whenever you need it, and this can be very useful.
However, if you want to remove this ice maker for any reason, whether is in the door or freezer compartment of your Samsung refrigerator, you can do this by following a simple process.
The benefits of refrigerator ice makers
Refrigerators are extremely useful appliances and with new, modern technologies and features, like built-in ice makers, your refrigerator can provide you with the convenience of various shapes of ice with the simple push of a button.
This makes it much easier to have a cold, refreshing beverage whenever you want to and to entertain guests in your space when you do not have space to store bags of ice or a portable ice maker during the summer.
How to remove ice maker in Samsung refrigerator
Although having an ice maker built right into your Samsung refrigerator can have many convenient benefits, some owners choose to remove their ice makers so that they can have more space in their refrigerators, because the ice maker is giving them issues, or because the ice maker needs to be replaced.
In order to remove this ice maker from the refrigerator, you first need to ensure that the refrigerator is defrosted and unplugged from the power supply.
These are the preparations that you need to do in order to ensure that the rest of the process where you remove the ice maker from the fridge goes as smoothly as possible.
There are two main types of ice makers that come with the Samsung refrigerators, namely, the door ice maker and the ice maker in the top freezer shelf.
Both of these kinds of ice makers can be removed by removing the outer casings, sliding the actual ice maker mechanism out of the fridge and disconnecting any of the wiring that connects the ice maker to the fridge, but these processes will be discussed in more detail below.
How to prepare to remove the ice maker from your Samsung refrigerator
It is important that you prepare properly for the removal process of the ice maker from your Samsung fridge to minimise any possible damage to the electronic components.
You need to set it to “Forced defrost” mode by pressing and holding the “Energy Saver” button as well as the “Fridge” buttons on the display panel of your fridge for about 5 to 8 seconds.
Then, you need to press only the “Fridge” button until “Fd” displays on the screen. You can leave your fridge on this defrost mode for 5 to 10 minutes so that the ice maker can defrost completely before you unplug the refrigerator.
How to remove the ice maker from your Samsung refrigerator if it is on the top shelf
Once you have finished with the preparations, you can proceed to remove the ice maker from the top shelf of the freezer compartment of your Samsung refrigerator by following these steps:
- Step 1: Lift the ice bucket up and out. Some models may require that you push a button or lever
- Step 2: Use a screwdriver to remove the screw on the cover of the electrical panel on the interior of the ice maker and remove the cover
- Step 3: Press the clip on the side of the wire cover to disconnect any wires between the ice make and refrigerator
- Step 4: Unscrew the small screw at the bottom of the ice maker duct and unclip the clip at the bottom of this component
- Step 5: Press the locking pad at the top of the ice maker, so that it will slide out from the compartment
How to remove the ice maker from your Samsung refrigerator if it is in the door
- Step 1: Pull the tabs on either side of the ice bucket to remove it
- Step 2: Lift the cover at the top of the ice maker to remove it
- Step 3: Unscrew the four screws that are holding the door panel in place
- Step 4: Unclip the locking tab by inserting a flat screwdriver at the side of the panel, which is indicated by a small arrow
- Step 5: Release the electric wiring plugs on the top of the panel
- Step 6: Unscrew the three screws to release the ice maker from the door panel and pull the wiring through the opening in the panel